Posted: September 17th 2012
Caracterized by :
- Rapid Change
- Global Economy
- Customer Focus
Business Pressures on an Organization that force change :
- Changing Workforce
- Electronic Commerce
- Information Overload
- Social Responbility
- Government Regulations
- Shrinking Budgets
Data : raw facts; collected, not organized.
Information : data organized in a meaningful way.
Knowledge : information organized to convey understanding, experiences, accumulated learning, or expertise.
Computer Literacy : knowledge and understanding of computers and their uses
System : Set of components that interact to achieve a common goal
Computer : Electronic device operating under the control of instructions stored in its own memory. (Shelly, Cashman, Vermaat, 2004)
Information System (IS) : A system that collects, processes, stores, and analyze data and disseminates information for specific purposes. (Turban & Rainer, 2003)
Computer Based Information System
The use of hardware, software, data, people and procedures that work together to produce quality information.
Computer Components are :
- Process/System Unit
- Communication/ Network
Input device : Keyboard,scanner,mouse,etc
Output device : Printer,Monitor,Speaker,Web Cam,etc.
Two components on the motherboard:
- CPU(Central Processing Unit)/Processor->Carries out instructions that tell computer what to do.
- Memory-> Temporary holding place for data and instructions.
Holds data,instructions,and information for future use. Storage are :
- Storage Media-> Physical material on which data, instructions, are information are stored.
- Storage Device-> Records and retrieves items to and from a storage medium.
Collections of computer and communication devices connected together.
A program is a series of instructions that tells the computer what to do.
- Application system(Application Software)
- System software
What is system software?
Programs that control the operations of the computer and its devices
- OS(Operating System)-> is a set of program that coordinates all activities among computer hardware devices and allows user to run application software.
- Utility program-> allow the user to perform maintenance-type tasks usually related to managing a computer, its device or its programs.
What is application software?
Programs that perform specific tasks for users
What are the categories of computers?
- Personal Computer
- Mobile computers and mobile device
- Midrange servers
- Mainframe computers
What types of servers are there?
Midrange server Powerful, large computer that supports up to a few thousand computers.
Mainframe Very powerful, expensive computer that supports thousands of computers.
Supercomputer The fastest, most powerful, most expensive computer. Used for applications requiring complex mathematical calculations.
What Makes Information Useful?
What are the needs of a power user?
–Speed and large amounts of storage
–Types of power users :
- Desktop publishers
- Graphic artists
What are some examples
of computer applications